1. I used to be the young guy. At my first job out of school, I was the first person hired there who was born in the 70s.
2. I am no longer the young guy. That changed quite abruptly when I was 26, and every bit of weakness I’ve felt since 30 makes me feel older.
3. And yet, I still like South Park. (The one in which Stan joins the Goth kids is on now — I love the way Butters sets things straight at the end.)
4. And Beavis & Butt-head.
5. And I think Family Guy is the best pure comedy since the Marx Brothers.
6. And I think The Simpsons is the best satire … ever.
7. And yet, the “bumps” on Cartoon Network’s Adult Swim strike me as self-indulgent “hipper than thou” nonsense I’d expect from one of those college radio station DJs who think he’s cool because he plays music no rational person would want to hear.
8. I did really well in school and went to a great college, then went back to the same school to get a master’s degree, but I feel like I didn’t get excited about learning until I saw the History of Britain series.
9. I love dogs.
10. It’s no surprise or shame that we often get more worked up about mistreatment of animals (in movies and in real life) than we do about mistreatment of humans. I think the reason is that dogs and cats — dogs especially — have an understanding with us in which they are completely devoted to us in exchange for the care that we give them. When we fail in that care, we break a covenant.
11. I like cats, too.
12. If I were on death row, my last meal would consist of pepperoni pizza.
13. In retrospect, I was happy in high school, but I hope I can steer my son away from being the total geek I was.
14. I hated mowing the yard as a kid, but I feel a strange satisfaction in doing it now.
15. My first celebrity crush was Debbie Harry.
16. Fifteen years ago, I never imagined I’d be so happily married now.
17. I’m a fairly decent cook despite knowing few fundamentals.
18. I watch HGTV.
19. I went to the Lilith Fair.
20. I’ve seen Indigo Girls outside the Lilith Fair.
21. I’m not gay.
22. I served at the altar of my church as a teenager.
23. Though I’ve developed several reservations about organized religion, I’m still quite religious and recently started attending church again.
24. My best memories of college include religious conversations with dormmates of diverse faiths.
25. I think if more people had conversations like that, they’d be less willing to wish evil — in this world or the next — on others.
26. I’m not the least bit hung up on cars.
27. Or guns, though I earned a riflery award at summer camp 20-some years ago.
28. I believe Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone.
29. I used to be a good guitarist, a good bassist, a good percussionist, a competent pianist and a so-so clarinetist.
30. I am now half as good at all those things.
31. I used to be good at calculus.
32. I can still juggle.
33. I think people who sound authoritative at Home Depot are either contractors or posers on the verge of seriously damaging their houses.
34. I’m not doing all 100 at a time because I know I’ll forget something. Also, I don’t have that kind of uninterrupted time. The next 33 will come later; the final 33 much later.
- The Robots Are Coming, and Sweden Is Fine - The New York Times"Protect the worker. Not the job." And then you have the freedom to innovate. Tags: economics sunday
- Psychic Cringe Fails 2 - The Best of James Randi - YouTubeTags: bullshit sunday
- Trump promised ‘America First’ would keep jobs here. But the tax plan might push them overseas. - The Washington PostTags: trump gop economics sunday
- As a Doctor, I'm Sick of All The Health Care FreeloadersBabies will die under GOP policies. It's that simple. Tags: trump gop cruelty health sunday
- The Invention of a New Kind of Political Party in Sweden | The New YorkerTags: metamodernism sunday
- The tax bill: What happened to ‘family values’ and ‘pro-life’ principles? – Red Letter ChristiansTags: gop economics religion sunday
- This simple chart debunks the conspiracy theory that Hillary Clinton sold uranium to Russia - VoxTags: bullshit trump hillary clinton sunday
- Mueller, several team members gave up million-dollar jobs to work on special counsel investigation - The Washington PostThis is public service, folks. Tags: sunday government
- Trump and Republicans treat their voters like morons - The Washington Post"In fairness, many people in the area, even Republicans, understand that’s a complete crock. Those jobs aren’t coming back, and the region’s future won’t be built on factories that employ huge numbers of people who can move into high-wage, high-benefit jobs with little preparation. Yet they still show up at his rallies and cheer while he lies right in t […]
- TV OD: have we reached Peak Television? | Television & radio | The GuardianToo many good shows? Tags: television sunday
- The Robots Are Coming, and Sweden Is Fine - The New York Times
My media feedMy Tweets