1. I used to be the young guy. At my first job out of school, I was the first person hired there who was born in the 70s.
2. I am no longer the young guy. That changed quite abruptly when I was 26, and every bit of weakness I’ve felt since 30 makes me feel older.
3. And yet, I still like South Park. (The one in which Stan joins the Goth kids is on now — I love the way Butters sets things straight at the end.)
4. And Beavis & Butt-head.
5. And I think Family Guy is the best pure comedy since the Marx Brothers.
6. And I think The Simpsons is the best satire … ever.
7. And yet, the “bumps” on Cartoon Network’s Adult Swim strike me as self-indulgent “hipper than thou” nonsense I’d expect from one of those college radio station DJs who think he’s cool because he plays music no rational person would want to hear.
8. I did really well in school and went to a great college, then went back to the same school to get a master’s degree, but I feel like I didn’t get excited about learning until I saw the History of Britain series.
9. I love dogs.
10. It’s no surprise or shame that we often get more worked up about mistreatment of animals (in movies and in real life) than we do about mistreatment of humans. I think the reason is that dogs and cats — dogs especially — have an understanding with us in which they are completely devoted to us in exchange for the care that we give them. When we fail in that care, we break a covenant.
11. I like cats, too.
12. If I were on death row, my last meal would consist of pepperoni pizza.
13. In retrospect, I was happy in high school, but I hope I can steer my son away from being the total geek I was.
14. I hated mowing the yard as a kid, but I feel a strange satisfaction in doing it now.
15. My first celebrity crush was Debbie Harry.
16. Fifteen years ago, I never imagined I’d be so happily married now.
17. I’m a fairly decent cook despite knowing few fundamentals.
18. I watch HGTV.
19. I went to the Lilith Fair.
20. I’ve seen Indigo Girls outside the Lilith Fair.
21. I’m not gay.
22. I served at the altar of my church as a teenager.
23. Though I’ve developed several reservations about organized religion, I’m still quite religious and recently started attending church again.
24. My best memories of college include religious conversations with dormmates of diverse faiths.
25. I think if more people had conversations like that, they’d be less willing to wish evil — in this world or the next — on others.
26. I’m not the least bit hung up on cars.
27. Or guns, though I earned a riflery award at summer camp 20-some years ago.
28. I believe Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone.
29. I used to be a good guitarist, a good bassist, a good percussionist, a competent pianist and a so-so clarinetist.
30. I am now half as good at all those things.
31. I used to be good at calculus.
32. I can still juggle.
33. I think people who sound authoritative at Home Depot are either contractors or posers on the verge of seriously damaging their houses.
34. I’m not doing all 100 at a time because I know I’ll forget something. Also, I don’t have that kind of uninterrupted time. The next 33 will come later; the final 33 much later.
- I Don't Know How To Explain To You That You Should Care About Other People | HuffPostTags: sunday gop empathy
- Donald Trump in Iowa proposes immigration law that already existsTags: bullshit trump sunday
- President Trump’s Lies, the Definitive List - The New York TimesGood work, but I'd like to see links to sources just to make it clear. Tags: bullshit trump journalism sunday
- Authoritarianism is making a comeback. Here's the time-tested way to defeat it | Maria J Stephan and Timothy Snyder | Opinion | The Guardian"Civil resistance is strategic. Movements articulate clear, achievable goals (achieving independent trade unions in the case of Solidarity; de-segregating public places during US civil rights movement) and know when and how to declare small victories. They must endure inevitable set-backs – like arrests, large counter-mobilizations by regime supporters, […]
- Stop spreading 'alternate facts'. (By Maki Naro) - 9GAGTags: facts sunday vaccines
- Arcade Fire to Lay Off 400 Nonessential Members by 2018Tags: humor sunday
- Cosby’s sex assault trial has ended with a mistrial. These people believe it’s all a conspiracy. - The Washington PostTags: facts conspiracies bill cosby bullshit sunday
- In the ‘Paris of the Appalachians,’ they’re not buying Trump’s climate talk - The Washington PostPissed-off Pittsburgh Tags: trump bullshit red states sunday
- AP FACT CHECK: Trump contradicts homeland security secretaryTags: trump bullshit sunday
- The Bullshitter-in-Chief - Vox"When Trump says something like he’s just learned that Barack Obama ordered his phones wiretapped, he’s not really trying to persuade people that this is true. It’s a test to see who around him will debase themselves to repeat it blindly. There’s no greater demonstration of devotion." Tags: trump bullshit sunday […]
- I Don't Know How To Explain To You That You Should Care About Other People | HuffPost
My media feedMy Tweets
Spencer Welch II on Patton Oswalt on wokeness Tube Martin on Revisiting the messiest Yes al… Lent’s over. S… on Andrew Sullivan rips left-wing… Lex on Old-guard GOP offers to fix pr… Fred Gregory on Local news outlets vs. propaga… The battle is joined… on Journalists’ fight again…