Scattered thoughts on new comedy series and pilots:
– I always root for Saturday Night Live alumni to move into prime time, and Nasim Pedrad — underutilized on SNL — deserves it as much as anyone.
– Also nice to see Casey Wilson getting another shot, this one with Tim Meadows.
– The Tina Fey/Ellie Kemper show about someone leaving a doomsday cult has to be good, or I’ll lose faith in humanity.
– Am I miscounting, or is Martin Short in two shows? One with fellow SCTV alum Andrea Martin!
– I caught a bit of Bad Education on the Virgin Atlantic flight. The original is a little difficult to understand — lots of heavy accents and jargon we don’t know in the USA — but it’s not bad at all.
– Mildly surprised to see David Schwimmer return to TV from the theater, but it seems to fit his experimental tastes. No one from Friends needs a hit show again, but Matthew Perry keeps trying.